With the pandemic still interrupting life, I’m sure you are just like me and have turned to watching more movies than you normally would. Recently, my husband, Tom and I watched a family favorite called “We Bought a Zoo”! In the story, Benjamin Mee, along with his 2 children purchase a zoo after the sudden death of his wife. One of the main lessons of the story is “sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of courage”! Wow! How true is that. Today more than ever some of us just need 20 seconds of courage to keep going! We hear everyone say phrases like we need to have faith, stay the course, be strong, there’s light at the end of the tunnel but anxiety and fear creep into our thoughts. Fear has a grip on us. We know God has a plan for our life but fear keeps us from living out what God created us to be and do. So, how do we overcome fear?
The opposite of fear is courage. Some of us are truly wired to be risk takers and thrive on change. However, many of us become paralyzed living in the “what if” syndrome. So, what are five practical ways we can have more courage to walk by faith, not by sight and keep pursuing our calling no matter what?
- Answer the Question What would you do if you knew you wouldn’t fail? This simple question will keep you dreaming bigger picture for your life.
- Lean into God’s Promises God loves us and has given us numerous promises in the Bible to remind us that He is with us in good and hard times of life.
Here are a few of God’s promises.
- I will be with you. –Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. Isaiah 41:10
- I will protect you- But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3
- I will be your strength – I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
- I will answer you – I call on you, my God, for you will answer me, turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. Psalm 17:6
- I will provide for you – And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory. Philippians 4:19
- I will give you peace –Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
- I will Always love you- Give Thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever. Psalm 136:26
- Use Resources Books, podcasts, conferences, etc. can give you a fresh perspective, ideas, confidence, and motivation to excel in God’s calling on your life.
- Know you can’t do it alone! Be vulnerable and invite key mentors into your life.
Brene Brown in the book, “Daring Greatly”, gives the idea of carrying a small piece of paper in your wallet of people whose opinions really matter. Who do you lean into for advice and counsel? Share your fears with people who can speak into your life! God created us for community!
- Keep a Journal This will give you a place to express your thoughts, set realistic goals, and give you courage. As you look back you will see how God provided and carried you through good times and challenging times.
As we start a new year do you need just 20 seconds of courage to live out your purpose in life? Twenty seconds of faith to be strong enough to keep going no matter what!
Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.
Colossians 2:7 (NLT)
Written by Debbie Jones
Founder of Stadia’s Bloom, Church Planter, Wife, Mom, Grandmother